What causes low back pain?
Low back pain can be caused by a number of factors from injuries to the effects of aging.The spinal cord is protected by the vertebrae, which are made of bone. Between each vertebra are soft discs with a ligamentous outer layer. These discs function as shock absorbers to protect the vertebra and the spinal cord. Many of the problems that cause back pain are the result of herniation and degeneration of the intervertebral disc. Degeneration is a process where wear and tear causes deterioration of the disc. Herniations, or bulging of the disc are protrusions from the disc that press on surrounding nerves, causing pain or numbness.
If I undergo DRX9000 treatment, how long does it take to see results?
Most patients report a reduction in pain after the first few sessions. Typically, significant improvement is obtained by the second week of treatment.
How long does it take to complete DRX9000 treatment?
Sessions times are between 20-30 minutes. Lumbar decompression protocol is daily for the first few weeks, and may be gradually decreased depending on individual needs. The number of sessions may vary depending upon the severity of the condition.
Do I qualify for the DRX9000 treament?
Proper patient selection is essential to favorable outcomes. A detailed history, thorough examination, weight bearing x-rays and MRI’s are needed.
- Pain due to herniated and bulging discs that is more than four weeks old
- Recurrent pain from a failed back surgery that is more than six months old.
- Persistent pain from degenerated disc not responding to four weeks of conservative therapy.
- Patient at least 18 years of age.
- Appliances such as pedicle screws and rods
- Prior lumbar fusion less than six months old
- Metastatic cancer
- Severe osteoporosis
- Spondylolisthesis Grade II, III, and IV (unstable)
- Compression fracture of lumbar spine below L-1 (recent).
- Pars defect
- Pathologic aortic aneurysm.
- Pelvic or abdominal cancer
- Disc space infections
- Severe peripheral neuropathy
- Hemiplegia, paraplegia, or cognitive dysfunction.
Are there any side effects to the treatment?
Most patients do not experience any side effects. Though, there have been some mild cases of muscle spasm for a short period of time.